Authors Posts by Website Editor

Website Editor

14818 POSTS 13 COMMENTS
'Please contact us as we are always looking for new stories, bright columns with innovative and sensational inspirational ideas. You can also contact us for press releases. Showcase your talents with us!' Contact us on info@ukzambians.co.uk

0

Acting President Guy Scott says the reconciliation that has taken place in the ruling PF means that all differences that existed earlier in the party are now buried.

Dr. Scott says the ruling PF is now back in business and that it is now looking forward to participating in the 2015 presidential election.

Speaking this morning at media briefing held in Lusaka Dr. Scott who flanked by PF president Edgar Lungu, disclosed that in the conciliatory meeting that was held last night it was agreed between the Edgar Lungu group and the Miles Sampa group that a line be drawn across the past.

Dr. Scott states that this implies that all that has happened in the last two months has no impact on the path that the ruling party is now headed.

He says the party is also mindful that it has an election in four weeks in which it has to retain the republican presidency.

The Acting President has since paid tribute to Assemblies of God Bishop Joshua Banda for having facilitated the reconciliation process of the ruling party.

And Dr. Scott has reiterated his promise of ensuring that the 2015 presidential election are held in a free and fair manner.

He says if his party wins the election, which he says his confident it will, it has to do so without any corruption, violence and without any sins that are specified in the electoral code of conduct.

And Mr. Lungu who sat next to Dr. Scott, has observed that there is no winner or loser in the reconciliation that has taken place in the ruling PF.

Mr. Lungu notes that the reconciliation that has taken place is package that includes not only Dr. Scott but all other party members such as Miles Sampa who is the Commerce Deputy Minister and the PF Matero Member of Parliament.

He says with this reconciliation it has also been agreed in principal that all matters that are before the courts of law be withdraw.

Mr. Lungu has told journalists that the party will consult with its legal advisers on the proper format of withdrawing the cases given the costs and other process involved.

He says he is optimist that in the same spirit of dialogue will triumph over the withdrawal of the cases.

scott edgar at government house

Speaking shortly after the media briefing Kasama Central Member of Parliament Geoffrey Mwamba pledged his full support to the ruling party’s campaign with the view of making certain that Mr. Lungu wins presidential election.

And Youth and Sport Minister Chishimba Kambwili who was the master of the ceremony at the media briefing has also observed that the opposition is jittery now that the ruling party has united as they know that they are in trouble.

Among the notable people that attended the media briefing include PF Secretary General Davis Chama, Lusaka Mayor Mulenga Sata, Mines, Foreign Affairs Minister Harry Kalaba, Tourism and Arts Minister Jean Kapata, Energy Minister Christopher Yaluma, Local government Minister Emmanuel Chenda, Southern Province Minister Daniel Munkombwe, RDA Board chairman Willie Nsande and ABZ president Frank Bwalya.

 

0

PF President Edgar Chagwa Lungu and Acting President Dr. Guy Lindsay Scott have put their differences behind and pledged to work together.

In a meeting brokered by Northmead Assemblies of God Bishop Dr. Joshua Banda, Edgar Lungu and Guy Scott agreed that they will be together at the Supreme Court during the filing of presidential nominations by PF President Edgar Chagwa Lungu.

Edgar Lungu was accompanied by PF National Chairperson, Inonge Wina, PF Secretary General, Davies Chama Minister of Tourism and Arts, Jean Kapata and Member of Central Committee Samuel Mukupa.

The meeting was held at State House in the evenings of Friday 19th September December 2014.

Dr. Scott led a team that comprised Kasama Central Member of Parliament Geoffrey Bwalya Mwamba, Matero Member of Parliament Miles Bwalya Sampa, former Secretary General Bridget Attanga and Anthony Kasolo.

Dr. Scott is expected to lead the 200 voter supporters that will file together with Lungu as an act of reconciliation.

A Press Briefing will be held on Saturday 20th December 2014 at Government House that will be addressed by Harry Kalaba and Geoffrey Bwalya Mwamba to discuss the development.

reconcile

0

PATRIOTIC Front (PF) president Edgar Lungu says he is both mentally and physically set for the filling of nomination papers today ahead of the forthcoming January 20 presidential election.

Mr Lungu, who is in charge of ministries of Defence and Justice, said he is more than ready to file his nomination papers because he has waited for the exercise for a long time.

He said this in an interview in Lusaka yesterday shortly after visiting the funeral house for Minister of Home Affairs Ngosa Simbyakula’s mother Mary Msango who died on Wednesday after an illness.

Mr Lungu said he is overwhelmed by the support he is receiving from party members who have made it possible for him to file his nomination papers today.

“In terms of politics, I can say that I am growing from strengthen to strength and I am assuring all the PF members that we will carry the day come January 20, next year,” he said.

Mr Lungu said the actual celebrations for the PF will start today after filing the nomination papers ahead of the presidential poll.

“The challenge for me is not easy, but I believe that God will give me more strength and wisdom to lead the people of Zambia after the death of our beloved republican president.

“The time for me to reflect on what President Sata left has come and I believe that its God’s plans that I become President of Zambia one day and I am praying to the God Almighty to continue playing a role in my leadership,” he said.

Mr Lungu also said the reinstatement of the 570 health workers is a Christmas and Jubilee present to them.
He dismissed claims by some politicians that the reinstatement of health workers is a campaign gimmick by the PF government.
“Christmas and Jubilee all point to the time to forgive and give and this is what we have just done as a government. This is non-political as alleged by some politicians,” Mr Lungu said.

And spokesperson for the PF campaign team Harry Kalaba has urged PF Members of Parliament (MPs) to go flat-out and campaign for Mr Lungu ahead of the presidential election.

Mr Kalaba who was also at the house of mourning said time for the PF has come and that the MPs including adopted cabinet ministers should go round the country and explain the development projects that the government has initiated and continues to implement in all parts of the country.

Dr Simbyakula’s mother Mary, 85, died on Wednesday at Lusaka’s CFB Hospital after an illness and funeral gathering is held at Plot No. 2406/L Ibex Hill in Lusaka.

She survived by three children, several grand and great grandchildren.

0

Fifa executives have unanimously agreed to publish a “legally appropriate version” of a report into allegations of World Cup bidding corruption.

However, world football’s governing body insisted Russia and Qatar will stay as hosts of the 2018 and 2022 tournaments respectively.

Fifa president Sepp Blatter said he asked the executive committee to vote in favour of publishing the report.

“We have always been determined the truth should be known,” he said.

“That is, after all, why we set up an independent ethics committee with an investigatory chamber that has all necessary means to undertake investigations on its own initiative.”

Uefa president Michel Platini called for publication of the Garcia report as soon as possible.

“I have always battled for transparency and this is a step in the right direction. Let us hope that the report can now be published as quickly as possible. The credibility of Fifa depends on it.”

Only a disputed summary of Michael Garcia’s 430-page report into the bidding process for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups has been published.

Blatter on 2022 World Cup:

“It would really need an earthquake, extremely important new elements, to go back on this World Cup in Qatar.”

Releasing the full report, which is likely to be heavily redacted to preserve witness confidentiality, is a change in Fifa policy.

However, it will only be published once ongoing investigations into five individuals are completed.

Those five are:

  • Spaniard Angel Maria Villar, a Fifa vice-president;
  • Belgian Michel D’Hooghe;
  • Thailand’s Worawi Makudi;
  • Former executive committee member Franz Beckenbauer;
  • And former Chile football leader Harold Mayne-Nicholls.

“We need to ensure that we respect the rules of our organisation and that we do not breach confidentiality in a way that will prevent people from speaking out in the future,” added Blatter.

The 78-year-old Swiss insisted later that there was no reason for Russia and Qatar to lose their rights to stage future World Cups.

“At the current time, there is no reason to go back on our decisions,” he told a news conference following a two-day meeting of Fifa’s executive committee in Morocco.

“The two World Cups are in the calendar, the only thing missing is the precise dates for 2022, but these two World Cups will take place.”

Addressing Qatar specifically, he added that only an “earthquake” could change Fifa’s decision to hold the 2022 tournament in the Gulf state.

“It would really need an earthquake, extremely important new elements, to go back on this World Cup in Qatar,” he said.

Garcia was appointed Fifa’s independent ethics investigator in 2012 and spent two years investigating all nine bids for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups following claims of corruption and collusion.

The American lawyer travelled the world speaking to bid officials and appealing for evidence of wrongdoing.

He eventually submitted a report to Fifa in September 2014.

Fifa subsequently released a 42-page summary that cleared Russia and Qatar of corruption.

However, an unhappy Garcia claimed it was “incomplete and erroneous”.

Earlier this week, he resigned, citing “lack of leadership” at Fifa.

Blatter, seeking a fifth term as Fifa president, conceded his organisation had been “in a crisis” but insisted: “The crisis has stopped because we again have the unity in our government.”

 

BBC sport

0

Drama ensued at the Supreme Court in Lusaka as opposition UPND cadres and supporters overpowered police to gain access to the court grounds.

The cadres further attempted to force their way into the court building to witness their party president Hakainde Hichilema file in nomination for the January 20, 2015 Presidential election.

Police reinforcements called to help quell the ensuing pandemonium watched helplessly as a sea of UPND follower thronged the Supreme Court grounds.
Traffic around the Supreme Court area was jammed as roads around the area were blocked by motor vehicles and huge crowds of UPND followers.

Mr Hichilema who arrived at the Supreme Court accompanied by his wife Mutinta, and party officials, successfully filed in his nomination before acting Chief Justice Lombe Chibesa Kunda, who was flanked by Electoral Commission of Zambia (ECZ) Chairperson, Justice Irene Mambilima .

The 52 year old opposition leader commended ECZ for successfully organising and presiding over the nomination process in view of the huge number of people gathered outside the court building.

Mr Hichilema said he was the only candidate with an imperious leadership track record and pedigree to lead Zambia to greater heights.

He pointed out that it is unprecedented in the history of the country for opposition law makers to reach a consensus and endorse him as presidential candidate.

Mr Hichilema pledged to develop the country by ensuring that resources are equitably distributed and providing an enabling and conducive business environment.

He said his administration will invest heavily in education to develop the required skills necessary to develop the country.

Mr Hichilema said once elected he will immediately ensure that Zambia’s growing international debt accrued by the PF administration to finance infrastructural developments is halted.

He charged that the PF is a violent party and Zambia needs a peaceful leader like him to unite and protect the country from machete-wielding culture of the ruling party.

Mr Hichilema cautioned Zambians against engaging in violence during and after the elections but instead remain peaceful.

Former First Lady, Maureen Mwanawasa, veteran politician, Vernon Mwaanga, former ministers in the Chiluba regime, Dipak Patel and Suresh Desai, and former Justice Minister in the PF government, Sebastian Zulu, were among prominent people that came to witness the opposition leader file in his nomination papers.

0

The Law Association of Zambia (LAZ) says the country’s constitution does not provide for the removal an acting president by Cabinet through a vote of no confidence.

The Association’s observation follows the vote of no confidence which was recently passed by 14 Cabinet Ministers with the view of having acting president Dr. Guy Scott removed from his position for allegedly endangering the country’s security.

In a statement to Qfm News, LAZ Vice President Linda Kasonde has explained that an acting republican president can only be removed by the natiSCOTT Lonal Assembly through a two thirds majority vote.

Ms.Kasonde says this process is however initiated when it has been found by the majority of Cabinet Ministers that the acting president does not have sufficient mental or physical capacity to discharge the functions of his office.

She says it is then that an investigation is instituted through a medical board appointed by the Chief Justice after which the National Assembly makes the ultimate decision of whether to remove the acting president or not based on the findings of the investigation.

And Ms. Kasonde has also noted that going by article 33 (2) of the country’s constitution which states that all executive powers are vested in the republican president, the President is the one that preside over all Cabinet meetings.

She says the Cabinet quorum is therefore between the President and one other member as Cabinet members only advise the President who has the final say notwithstanding the advice rendered.

The LAZ vice president has further explained that in the ninety days prescribed in the constitution at a time that a substantive president dies and the vice president fills the vacant position, he has the powers to perform executive powers subject to limitations set in Article 38 of the constitution.

She says this entails that an acting president assumes the Cabinet functions of a substantive president.

Ms Kasonde states that Cabinet Ministers cannot therefore properly constitute a cabinet meeting in the absence of the acting or substantive president.

Twitter Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com