Luapula cholera death toll hits 3
THE cholera death toll in Luapula Province has risen to three, Health Minister Joseph Kasonde has confirmed.
Dr Kasonde and Nchelenge District Commissioner Joseph Chisakula said in separate interviews yesterday that two more people died of cholera in Nchelenge.
On Tuesday, one person died in Mwense District.
“Yes I can confirm that we have a total of three deaths from cholera in Luapula and health officials are doing everything to curb the situation from worsening,” Dr Kasonde said.
Separately, Mr Chisakula said the district was putting in place measures to prevent a further spread of the disease.
Enock Kunda died on Tuesday in Mwense District’s Mambilima Mission Hospital where 36 patients had been admitted.
Mwense District Commissioner, Victor Kasuba said 35 patients were moved from the mission hospital to Mulundu Basic School where a cholera centre had been established.
Two other patients were admitted to Chibondo Health Centre.
The first cases were reported on Sunday and samples were taken to Mansa General Hospital, where results proved positive for the waterborne disease.
District health officials had since appealed to residents in Mwense and surrounding areas to limit their movements, particularly avoiding the border areas with the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).
The DRC’s Kasenga District also had confirmed cholera cases.
The Ministry of Health had already put in place various medical interventions, including a steady supply of drugs.
Source: Times of Zambia