Rupiah Banda has with immediate effect stepped down from MMD presidency leaving the party leadership to MMD National Chairman Michael Mabenga until the convention.
The MMD has been deregistered by the Registrar of Societies for non payment of K390 million in renewal fees since 1991 and risks losing all Parliamentary seats.
The Registrar of Societies says he will inform the Speaker to declare all 53 MMD seats in Parliament vacant because the party has been deregistered. The MMD has 21 days in which to appeal to the Minister of Home Affairs against the decision.
Meanwhile, Rupiah Banda has with immediate effect stepped down from MMD presidency leaving the party leadership to MMD National Chairman Michael Mabenga until the convention.
Recommended posts for you
- July 4, 2012 Pay statutory fees, Sakeni urges MMD
- August 29, 2012 MMD pays K300 million statutory fees
- March 15, 2012 Women warn Sata rescind MMD Party Deregistration or we go out naked
- March 15, 2012 Former MMD National sSecretary blames Levy, Rupiah over returns
- February 25, 2012 RB Accuses the PF of Abuse of Authority
- June 26, 2012 Zambian court overturns ex-ruling MMD party ban
- January 8, 2013 MMD has no president – Namugala
- July 10, 2012 MMD must help find solutions – Chanda